Our Families Are Proud to Share Their Success
Our parents are proud they invested in their child’s success. And our students are proud of their accomplishments! Our students thrive because they discover they can succeed.
- Heidi Kroner and Aspire Academy have been an extreme blessing in my family's life. Heidi has been there every step of the way with us for the last two years, educating, encouraging, and supporting us through it all. We have become good friends with Heidi and value her knowledge and enthusiasm of the reading programs she works with. I love to hear Heidi and my grandson laughing while they are tutoring. She has established a relationship with him, engages him and makes learning fun. It is obvious she truly cares about him and his future. I knew from the first time I met her, while attending one of her free workshops approximately four years ago, she was completely dedicated to helping her students and their families. You just don't find those attributes in people or businesses much anymore.Heidi has spent countless hours researching ways to help my grandson, attending meetings, communicating with teachers, parents, etc. She adapts her approach based on the students needs and interests, and tries different methods if something doesn't work until she finds what does. This dedication is invaluable. If you are questioning whether to try their services, I would strongly suggest you do, you can't afford not to. The sooner the better.Gratefully,Patricia F.
- Our child entered first grade not being able to read, and she scored a 0 on the STAR reading assessment because of this. At the end of February, she was tested again, and she scored 14%. We began tutoring with Aspire Academy in March, right before COVID-19. After two-months of Orton-Gillingham tutoring, her STAR reading score increased to 41%. Her school re-tested her because they could tell dramatic growth was happening. My daughter loved in-person tutoring and successfully transitioned to online tutoring. Her Aspire Academy tutor went out of her way to make on-line tutoring an enjoyable experience. My daughter and her tutor had themed days: hat day, crazy sock day, pajama day. Every tutoring day was something for her to look forward too! -- West Des Moines Parent
- We had a student switch to Aspire Academy because we provide the same tutor for every lesson, we only tutor individually, and our tutors are dedicated to that student. Due to the more positive emotional support, relationship building, and the needs of that child, he committed to coming twice a week instead of one time a week. This was a huge step for this student and is a testimony to our focus on emotional support as well as reading support during tutoring lessons.
- We can personalize our services to fit your child’s needs One of our students had such difficulty reading, that her tutor came to school during language arts to read her materials and worksheets to her, as well as deliver her Wilson lessons. Within two years of this dedicated help, the student was able to achieve grade-level reading, and work independently at school, without the tutoring.
- With tutoring, children’s attention spans increase and attitudes improve!
- When a child can’t read and spell to the level of others around them, they tune out and feel like they can never learn. School is a constant struggle, and it is hard to pay attention.
- Some kids develop learned-helplessness. Others develop anxiety, withdrawal, oppositional behavior, clowning or hyper-activity.
- Aspire has seen these symptoms slowly disappear for children over the course of tutoring. Children begin to be able to hold greater attention during reading tasks, begin to experience success and learning, and feel pride in their accomplishments. Troublesome behaviors begin to decrease and disappear as reading and spelling improves. Yes, this is anecdotal, but it definitely observable.
- We graduate students! At Aspire Academy, we measure progress frequently. One student, a fourth grade boy, had received Wilson tutoring for 3.5 years. At the end of Book 7 (out of a 12-book system), testing showed he was reading at a high school level, and he had mastered all concepts in the program. We graduated this student and proudly celebrated his success. He did not need to complete the entire program.
- We have personalized services. Aspire Academy tutors a child in her home in the mornings before school. At first tutoring was hard and difficult because reading was difficult. Ten months later, her MAP scores improved 15 points, she is able to read small chapter books, and she is all smiles when her tutor comes to the door. She even complains when tutoring time is over.
- We deliver reading growth! One fourth-grade Aspire student tutored three times weekly. He began at a first grade reading level. After 7 months of tutoring, his ability to pay attention improved as measured by his educational psychologist. After 16 months of tutoring, he was reading at a 6th grade level, spelling at grade level as measured on his school spelling tests and enjoys reading chapter books on his own.
- We deliver reading growth! A sixth-grade boy’s mother noticed he was having trouble reading the names on Christmas packages. After testing indicated he had dyslexia, her son began tutoring with Aspire. This student made 45 months of reading growth in 10 months of Wilson tutoring at Aspire Academy. He came three times a week to tutoring, and requested three times a week so he could catch up to his peers.
- We promote reading independence. An Aspire seventh grade student was able to read the first three books of the series Little House On The Prairie entirely by herself after spending the summer listening to 15 audiobooks. She had wanted to read this series on her own for years. Audiobooks improve vocabulary, comprehension, focus, visualization while enjoying literature, and foster a love of books. Audiobooks and Orton-Gillingham tutoring are key to getting children to reading independence.
- We help students become independent readers. A middle school boy began tutoring with Aspire in June. He had never been able to read a chapter book despite years of trying. After 4 months of tutoring, and spending the summer listening to audiobooks, he decided to tackle his favorite book series, Warrior Cats, and he was able to successfully read it.
- Johnston Family "Aspire has been a wonderful experience for our family. Our severely dyslexic son recently finished the Wilson program. Scheduling with his tutor was very flexible and she even came to his elementary school to tutor during the school day. Karen was so patient and understanding! Thank you Aspire!"
- Johnston Parent "My daughter was nervous about the Accelerated 7th Grade Math Class she qualified for. During the summer, she tutored at Aspire and pre-learned many of the concepts. She loved her tutor, and she went into seventh grade feeling confident and not stressed. She got A's all year in math."
- Clive Parents My daughter could not grasp the concepts of math. Aspire worked with her at school, for 2 hours a week, using clay, drawings and anything needed to reach her to teach and reinforce the math concepts she was not understanding. After two years, she was not only understanding math, she qualified for the math olympics at her school.
- Urbandale Mother “Our son felt bad about reading and writing for years before tutoring. Now, he understands that he can learn and be successful. He also understands that there is a reason it is so hard for him to learn the way others do. He looks forward to tutoring, and he has gained a tremendous amount of confidence as a student and a reader.”
- West Des Moines Family “Our family wants to thank you from the bottom of our heart! We were so glad fate had our paths cross at the right moment...our first grade son was struggling with reading and starting to dislike school. You helped us understand his unique challenges and with tutoring, you’ve helped him become a great reader. Perhaps more importantly, this built his academic confidence and ability to learn that will forever change his life path! We are so grateful we started him early, and had the guidance and care from you all. We are so proud he has graduated (4th grade) - but I know he will actually miss seeing his friends at tutoring; he really came to love going! Thank you for being an incredible resource at just the right time! And please do use this testimonial, and refer folks to chat with us about our experience!”
- Urbandale Father “I just heard your ad on the radio today. Heidi helped our son a few years ago, and we are very thankful!! He is almost done with his first semester at the University of Iowa majoring in Biomedical Engineering! The SDS office at Iowa also accepted his dyslexia documentation so he was granted extra time to take exams, leniency on spelling/grammar and a distraction-free testing environment. Thank you for all your help!”